Support Classical Music radio with your Amazon purchase today!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

YouTube Symphony - vote NOW!!!

I just spent a really wonderful hour+ listening to and voting for finalists for the YouTube Symphony.
Yes, this is an operatic list, so there were LOTS of excerpts from the Magic Flute, and one from Lucia (no glass harmonica, alas)
OK, I'm on topic.

I will re-post this on my blog and on the CMB website as well - I thought it was a great idea from the start, and would love to see it really grow legs.

Here is my list, and the criteria I used:

For the most part, I did NOT even listen to anyone who posted a concert appearance - I considered that "cheating" in my criteria, since it was supposed to be an audition, so I wanted as close to the audition process as possible. I have left comments by some of the more memorable performers.

One other note: I didn't realize that this was geared towards conservatory students - I haven't read the rules (but will do so tout suite) but I thought this was open to the world, so it was a Leeeeetle distressing to see all of these youngins auditioning. I had hoped for a few more "going gray" types like myself, who maybe played in a local orchestra/pit band and wanted a shot. Must reread the rules.

A special mention and kudos to: DoMaggioreEccedente (for playing on that poor upright - get this man a Bosendorfer, stat!

If you want to vote: http://www.youtube.com/Symphony

Now if "someone" would let a certain company I know personally broadcast the concert live on the Internet - hint,hint! ;) Anyone have MTT's phone number?

In order, who I listened to, although the site randomizes the videos once you start voting, so you may have to use search to find these folks.

HarvestZhangPiano
colinoldberg
CelsoGarciaBlanco
andyvchester
kukeen
playsviolin
jacmorant
manuelzogbi
ArtEZConservatorium
Tiagov6
Saviarnold
whiice
borysovadym
TaeShikKim1
LunaSerenata
taraklein1027
intinsamente
dhowellbassist
gargoylejenkins - thanks for choosing that Bach
prelude!Good Energy
cyberforte - who played the Prelude better, IMHO
ssalrice
marimbamaki
owainawilliams
sony0606
behold888 - what was with the whole anonymity thing? This wasn't a blind audition!
MrChose
JoelKN
LynneAbbeyLee
ceciliamus444
PavelBirukov - who was the only person who looked like he was actually enjoying himself! (ok, except for the whole breathing thing)
VienNia1
EDOboe
Hornmaker - the only auditionee who looked like he was a regular joe and not a conservatory student
capdenap - the bells in the background were SURREAL - loved it! Was he channeling Stokowski?
EMDananMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment